Monday, June 21, 2010

Healthy Comfort Food: Chicken Stew

Awhile back, I happened across a recipe for "chicken stew proven├žal" in the Washington Post. It was based on a recipe from Runner's World, and was touted as a simple, flavorful recipe that runners could use as a nice post-run dinner to replenish their systems. After making it a few times (even though I'm not a runner anymore and will never be again), I have to say that this has become one of my goto recipes for a healthy dinner. It's also a great way to use up leftover vegetables. The one big difference I've done from the original recipe was that the original recipe called for red potatoes. I am not a big fan of potatoes, so I substituted a can of white beans instead. As written below, it makes about 6 servings. The recipe can also easily be halved, and extra portions freeze very well.

olive oil
approx. 1.5 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
2 small or 1 large onion, cut into thin wedges
2-3 stalks celery, cut into 1/2" pieces
2 carrots, cut into 1/2" pieces
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups chicken broth
28 oz. canned diced tomatoes, with juices
2 cans white beans, drained and rinsed
1 tsp Herbs de Provence, crushed
1/4 tsp salt (or to taste)
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)

Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the chicken and cook, stirring frequently, until it is brown on all sides (5-7ish minutes).

Add the onion, garlic, carrots, and celery. Cook until onion is soft, about 5 minutes, stirring every couple minutes.

Add the broth, tomatoes, beans, and spices, stirring so it's all combined. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 45 minutes (so chicken is cooked through).

As I said in the intro, I sometimes use this recipe to use up leftover vegetables. If the vegetables are fresh/stand well to satueeing, I add them at the same time as the onions and celery (stuff like zucchini works well here). For frozen vegetables (like peas or cut green beans), I add them at the same time as the broth. Adding other vegetables might require adding additional broth and/or tomatoes, so just keep that in mind.


Zinn said...

This sounds delicious! I'm working on a cooking/baking/recipe website, I would love to be able to use some of these recipes! If you'd like, send me an email at I'm still working on the site and it probably won't be up for a couple more months, until I get a lot more recipes ready. I have to try the recipes before I can publish them and then do some modifications, of course! Feel free to let me know, if you're interested!

LilMissYogi said...

sounds amazing.. i may just have to try it!