Monday, October 30, 2006

A Day in the Pool

In keeping with my "plan" as outlined yesterday, today I called the gym to inquire about getting a personal trainer. The woman called me back at around 3 p.m. and she said that Brian (I think that was the name she gave) will be my trainer and will call me within the next day to setup the details. Needless to say, I'm kind of excited. The last time I was this excited about working out, I was training for a marathon (pre-ankle surgeries). I guess it's nice to have a goal and a plan for getting back to where I want to be.

I also went to the gym today, for a nice session in the pool. I did 1050 yards, or just over a half a mile. This was my workout:
450 continuous freestyle (450 is a quarter mile)
100 kick free (using a kickboard, in the same style I'd use if I were swimming freestyle)
100 pull free (using resistance gloves and a pull buoy)
100 backstroke
100 breaststroke
100 kick free
50 pull free (using resistance gloves and pull buoy)
50 free with resistance gloves
------------------------------
1050 TOTAL

I've been using a book, "The Fit Swimmer" to get workout ideas for building my endurance up to 1 mile and beyond. The next time I swim, I think I'll move up to Workout 7 (total 900 yards--1/2 mile--but longer "sessions" in the last 450). It's also time I get new resistance gloves or paddles, as my gloves (which I've had since before my first shoulder surgery) are starting to wear out and the neoprene is tearing. I think this time I'm going to get the "Catalyst Brites" by TYR as they look more durable in general than gloves.

That's all for now. Hopefully I'll hear from Brian (?) tomorrow and have more of a plan.

No comments: