Thursday, February 24, 2005

The Top 100 (er...56) Sci-Fi Books You Must Read...

I figured since I talked about it so much in my last post, I'd actually post up my parsed-down list of the top science fiction to read. What follows is the original number, title, and author. Titles in green are ones I've read, and titles in red are titles I own but have not read. Naturally, these types of lists are always open for debate. I happened to find this one randomly and it seemed as good as any other list I'd seen, so this is the one I used. Hopefully you'll enjoy the list, and who knows, you may find something you want to read. :)

1. Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke
2. Foundation by Isaac Asimov
3. Dune by Frank Herbert
4. The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick
5. Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein
6. VALIS by Philip K. Dick
7. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
8. Gateway by Frederik Pohl
9. The Space Merchants by Frederik Pohl
10. Earth Abides by George Stewart
11. Cuckoos Egg by C.J. Cherryh
12. Star Surgeon by James White (Amazon link, it seems Powell's doesn't have it)
13. The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch by Philip K. Dick
14. Radix by A.A. Attanasio
15. 2001 A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke
16. Ringworld by Larry Niven
17. A Case of Conscience by James Blish
18. Last and First Men by Olaf Stapledon
19. The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham
20. Way Station by Clifford Simak
21. More Than Human by Theodore Sturgeon
22. Gray Lensman by E.E. "Doc" Smith
23. The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov
24. The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. LeGuin
25. Behold the Man by Michael Moorcock
27. The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells
28. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne
30. The Time Machine by H.G. Wells
33. Neuromancer by William Gibson
34. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
38. Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey (I actually think I've read this before, when I was about 10, but I'm not positive so I'm not making it yellow)
39. Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne
40. Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein
42. The Voyage of the Space Beagle by A.E. Van Vogt
45. Omnivore by Piers Anthony
46. I, Robot by Isaac Asimov
49. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
51. 1984 by George Orwell
52. The Strange Case of Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Stevenson
53. Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson
59. Stand on Zanzibar by John Brunner
60. A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
61. Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (I'm surprised this one isn't at Powell's! Link goes to Amazon)
63. Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes
68. Flatland by Edward Abbott Abbott
73. The Puppet Masters by Robert Heinlein
78. The Snow Queen by Joan D. Vinge
81. Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut
83. The Upanishads (who on Earth is this by?)
84. Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
85. The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (Amazon link...hmm...)
86. The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K. LeGuin
92. Timescape by Gregory Benford
97. Hyperion by Dan Simmons (in the process of reading this one)
98. The Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton
100. A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs (I own this one and tried to read it, but I really couldn't get past chapter 2)

No comments: