Friday, March 25, 2005

WIRED = 3-2-1 Contact?

Last night, my April 2005 issue of WIRED came. I love this magazine, though I've been a bit behind on reading all of my magazines (National Geographic Adventure, bike, Bicycling, and WIRED), mostly because I've been reading too many books. While flipping through it, it hit me that WIRED is very similar to a magazine I read when I was growing up, 3-2-1 Contact. I don't know if it struck me while reading a little blurb on Bill Nye the Science Guy (coming back to TV, this time in a show called The Eyes of Nye, a show aimed at adults) or if it came while reading of some Japanese inventions with "High Concept, No Purpose," but somehow I saw it: WIRED magazine is for adults what 3-2-1 Contact was for me as a kid. Both magazines talk (ok talked, in terms of 3-2-1 Contact) about technology, gadgets, and science. Both have/had information on cutting edge "geek news" and predictions of what may come in the future. And, just like I did with 3-2-1 Contact "back in the day," I hang on to every copy of WIRED and read and re-read the articles, facinated and excited about the geek's view of the universe. Yes, WIRED may use a broader vocabulary and mention some politics, but that just makes it 3-2-1 Contact for adults. Now the real question: does anybody ELSE remember 3-2-1 Contact?

No comments: