Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Stupid Gimmick

Taco Hell is at it again: offering fans a free crunchy taco if either team hits a home run that hits their 12' x 12' target during tonight's World Series game 3. They've done this in the past with big home run events and also with the MIR space station (if I remember correctly). I can't imagine that too many people would ever take them up on it if the target was actually hit, but Taco Bell's owner, Yum! Brands Inc (how original), has taken out an insurance policy to ensure they don't take any losses for the giveaway. Personally, I don't care for TH's crunchy tacos, but this gives me an idea...

What about giving people a "reward" for voting? I know it's the civic duty of Americans to go out and vote, but I also know that voter turnout is traditionally low--and sinking. And, no, I'm not talking about Michael Moore's alleged offer to give free underwear to people that register to vote and promise to vote for John Kerry (though I don't put it past him, I haven't had a chance to research this claim at all). If I'm not mistaken, that constitutes buying a vote and is illegal. I just want to see people actually get out and vote.

If popular media is any indication, so do a lot of other people--some big-name companies included. So, why not offer a gimmick to those that vote? Say, a free donut at Dunkin' Donuts or Krispy Kreme for anybody who shows up on Nov. 3rd with proof of having voted on Nov. 2nd. I don't know about other voting regions, but I know that where I vote (Harmony Hall in Columbia, MD), I get a little sticker that says "I Voted" when you leave the polls. Or, perhaps you could get a receipt or a stub for voting that could verify you did it. Seems to me that a "gimmick" like THAT would actually be worthwhile and might even drag a few more people to the polls...

No comments: